Year 6 at Portland Place School provides the opportunity to learn in a happy, creative and supportive environment with individualised support and without the pressure of SATS or 11+ enabling a smooth transition into Year 7.
- small class size with close links to KS3
- encouraging individual interests and passions to support curriculum learning
- development of responsibility through role modelling, use of structured organisational tools and clear progression and integration with Year 7
- leadership opportunities as year group representatives for specialist areas
- At least one hour of PE per day timetabled
- individualised support plans for students with additional needs
- supportive environment underpinned by a ‘growth mindset’ philosophy
- regular communication with parents about student progress and class work
- excellent pastoral care of students in a warm and happy atmosphere
- regular exciting trips to venues such as museums, BT Tower, theatres and opportunities for residential trips abroad
- creative curriculum encouraging cross curricular, hands on, practical learning, such as through the annual Science Fair in which students design and showcase their own experiments
- access to fantastic subject specific facilities (e.g science laboratories, drama and art studios)
- opportunities to take part in Senior School events and performances (such as the annual school play)
- wealth of extra-curricular and afterschool activities in drama, music, languages, art, design technology and maths
- integrated Apple technology encourages digital learning across curriculum with each student being given their own i-pad.
How to Apply
Prior to applying please come and visit our school to meet the headmaster and learn more about the ethos of Portland Place School. This can be done on a formal tour or with a private tour.
Details of these can be found on our open events page.
- The admissions process starts with submitting an application on our online portal.
- Your child will then be invited to attend a 20 minute interview with the headmaster.
- We ask that all applicants take a baseline assessment test to understand their current level and we will contact their existing school for a reference.
- A decision on the application will then be made and parents notified.
- Acceptance documentation and a deposit will be required to secure your child’s place. Your child will be invited to the school or for an induction day prior to starting.
If you have an enquiry please contact us using the form below or contact the registrar using the details below.
There may be occasional places available for in-year admission, please contact our registrar at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone on 0207 307 8700 for further information.
Key Dates for Year 6 Applications
|Application Deadline (registration & scholarships) ||Friday 24 November 2023 (5pm)|
|Interviews||Interviews will commence November 2023|
|Baseline Assessments*||Saturday 20 January 2024|
|Application Outcome||Offer/No Offer letters posted mid-February 2024|
|Autumn Term 2023 Start Date||Monday 2 September 2024 (TBC)|
Year 6 entrants will be offered a taster day in the spring term during which they will complete an assessment in Mathematics and English.
The admissions team can be contacted on:
t: 020 7307 8710
Or contact the team via our online portal and someone will be in touch.