Portland Place School Parents’ Association 2012
Welcome to the PPS Parents’ Association. All parents of children at PPS are automatically members of the Parents’ Association, and you are welcome to attend our meetings and social events – it’s a great way of becoming involved in the school community and getting to know other parents.
The objectives of the Parents’ Association are to encourage parental involvement in the school community, and to support the pupils, by:
- Raising money for a nominated charity, and getting PPS children involved.
- Organizing social events for parents (and sometimes children).
- Providing a forum for parents’ discussion.
- Welcoming new parents to the school.
- Every autumn term, the Parents’ Association runs a highly successful Quiz Night.
- From time to time we hold other social events with an expert speaker, an opportunity for questions and discussion, followed by drinks and snacks. We would welcome suggestions for future topics and speakers – ideas already received include UCAS & university entrance (including to US universities), European Computer Driving Licence, learning support, and ‘the teenage brain’.
- Year reps organize year-specific social events, such as bowling or ice-skating trips with the younger children and their parents, or drinks in a local bar after the parent-teacher meetings.
- Tim Cook runs Headmaster’s Open Forums to give parents an opportunity to ask questions or raise concerns directly with him. The forums also provide an opportunity to meet other parents from your year group and exchange views with each other.
- The Tuesday tuck shop is much appreciated by children, and offers (free!) healthy snacks as well as (paid-for) crisps, biscuits and doughnuts.
- Regular sales of second-hand uniform
- Support for school events (sports day, celebration day, induction day)
The Parents’ Association is funded by money raised at social and other events.